Disney isn’t messing around.
Despite the fact that Big Hero 6‘s competitor this weekend was Christopher Nolan’s sci-fi epic Interstellar, which stars big names Anne Hathaway and Matthew McConaughey, Hero easily took the top spot at the box office with $56 million.
That’s quite surprising—it’s not only very rare that an animated flick rakes in over $50 million, it’s also a shock that an animated flick earned more than the space epic. Critics attribute Big Hero‘s success to a strong grab on families (and a very loveable sidekick in the plump robot Baymax) as well as its great reviews across the board. They expect the film to gross around $215 million by the time it leaves the box office.
Interstellar, on the other hand, didn’t really click with its audience. Fervent fans of Hathaway, McConaughey and Nolan were of course in attendance, but other than that, the film wasn’t able to get the attention of potential audiences. Critics believe that the combination of a lack of action (as in last year’s Gravity) and a strong visual image was its downfall.
There is hope for it yet though. Critics also believe that the film will have a good shot at longevity. With a good (?) review from acclaimed physicist Neil deGrasse-Tyson, thing might be looking up.
Full Box Office (via Box Office Mojo):
1. Big Hero 6 $56,200,000
2. Interstellar $50,000,000
3. Gone Girl $6,100,000
4. Ouija $6,017,000
5. St. Vincent $5,707,000
6. Nightcrawler $5,512,000
7. Fury $5,500,000
8. John Wick $4,075,000
9. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day $3,495,000
10. The Book of Life $2,800,000
- Hooman, Bryn & Uzette Discuss ‘The Big Sick’ With Kumail Nanjiani & Emily V. Gordon!
- 10 Movies You Must See This Fall
- Guide To The Mill Valley Film Festival 2017
- Sean Penn To Be Honored At Mill Valley Film Festival
- 7 of The Bay Area’s Must-Go Oscar 2017 Parties
- VIDEO: ‘John Wick: Chapter 2’ & ‘Fifty Shades Darker’ Movie Reviews