No, this is not a parody.
“Weird Al” Yankovic, who scored his first No. 1 album this year with Mandatory Fun, has done a non-sarcastic ad for Radioshack, the electronics store.
As for why Yankovic teamed up with a company who’s on the brink of absolution, according to some? Maybe it’s nostalgia; after all, the holidays always do bring out that feeling.
Yankovic’s spot is filmed like his very own Radioshack music video. In it, Al plays a zealous singing employee walking a customer through the store’s “toyland.” Comparisons to Willy Wonka are inevitable, not just in the way that Al guides her through the Radioshack, but also because he’s wearing a similar purple-colored blazer.
- Weird Al Moderates Presidential Debate on ‘Bad Hombres, Nasty Women’
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Performs ‘Yoda’ with Weird Al
- Weird Al Describes ‘Decades of Weirdness’ with Prince
- ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic Announces Insanely Massive Mandatory Summer Tour
- Weird Al to Join ‘Comedy Bang! Bang!’ as Co-host & Bandleader
- 10 Artists We’d Love to See Lead the ‘Late Show with Stephen Colbert’ Band