Headed to the [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Foo Fighters[/lastfm] concert at Oracle with Alice tonight? Here are the top 10 things you might not know about your foovorite band. (Apologies for the pun, my intern made me write it.)
10. The term “Foo Fighter” was used by Allied aircraft pilots in World War II to describe various UFO’s or mysterious, aerial phenomena seen in the skies over both the European and Pacific Theater of Operations.
9. Dave and his mom used to fight for time in their family bathroom. “It was like an airplane bathroom, with three people fighting for the shower, and Mom making cinnamon toast and sticking shirts in the dryer to warm them up because it was cold outside.” (Life, 2006)
8. They do a cover of “Darling Nikki” by Prince
7. Dave Grohl was vice-president of his freshman class in high school.
6. Dave used his Grammy as a doorstop. “For the longest time I used a Grammy to hold my bedroom door open because it never would stay open. And now I have them on a shelf.”
5. While in Australia in 2000, Dave Grohl was fined and banned from driving – for driving on a rental scooter while drunk.
4. Prior to joining the Foos, drummer Taylor Hawkins performed with [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Alanis Morisette.[/lastfm]
3. Dave on their weird fans: “…someone threw a bra duct-taped to a tennis ball. I just stood there, playing guitar, thinking how this was totally premeditated. Some girl sat around inventing a way to get her bra onstage from 40 rows back.” (Melody Maker, 2000)
2. Dave doesn’t think he’s attractive: “Women don’t look at me like I’m Fabio; they look at me like I’m Duckie from Pretty In Pink.” (Maxim, December 2007)
1. Dave Grohl’s favorite drummer joke? ‘”How can you tell a drummer’s at the door? He doesn’t know when to come in.”